Tuesday, 6 October 2015

Landlady

1. Foreshadowing means presenting something with an act before hand "...and we don't want to go breaking any laws at this stage in the proceedings, do we?


2.foreshadowing and inference are to different words. But they mean almost the same thing. An inference is when a consequence happens because of evidence. Foreshadowing is when the writer gives you a hint that there is going to be some kind of murder.
"the landlady liked her home to be cozy" evidence from the story:" He noticed that the bedspread had been taken off the bed, and that the
bedclothes had been neatly turned back on one side, all ready for someone to get in. "
3.
Swanky - They had porches and pillars and four or five steps going up to their front doors, and it was obvious that once upon a time they had been very swanky residences.
congenial - On the other hand, a pub would be more congenial than a boarding-house.
 Rapacious - The name itself conjured up images of watery cabbage, rapacious landladies, and a powerful smell of kippers in the living-room.
Dither - After dithering about like this in the cold for two or three minutes, Billy decided that he would walk on and take a look at The Bell and Dragon before making up his mind.
Compelling - Each word was like a large black eye staring at him through the glass, holding him, compelling him, forcing him to stay where he was and not to walk away from that house, and the next thing he knew, he was actually moving across from the window to the front door of the house, climbing the steps that led up to it, and reaching for the bell. 
Compulsion - The compulsion or, more accurately, the desire to follow after her
into that house was extraordinarily strong. 
Dotty - The old girl is slightly dotty, Billy told himself. But at five and sixpence a night, who gives a 
 damn about that?
Dainty - “Dear me,” she said, shaking her head
and heaving a dainty little sigh. 
Tantalizing - Mum was cooking dinner in the kitchen, it smelled tantalizing!
Linger - She didn't want leave, she was lingering now, that was plenty annoying.
Emanate - "They say it's new" she said to me while strange noises were coming out of the building.
Malevolent - She had that malevolent look on her face, the look of a bully.
Naive - I gave her the malevolent look, she better be afraid, that horrid naive,so terrible ,so hopeful.
Gullible - I couldn't believe myself , they stole my money because I believed them, why am I such a gullible? 
Beguiling- My friend really wanted that doll, she thought that she looked beguiling.
4. a. She seems way to kind - feel. If the women wouldn't of been oddly too kind , it wouldn't of shown that she might be a murderer.
b. If Billy wouldn't of come on this adventure , then the story would be different. - all senses.
5.I feel that she might be a murderer.
Because of her strangely odd kindness to the man and how she said :“I’m so glad you appeared,” she said, looking earnestly into his face. “I was beginning to get worried.” And also this "she looked up at him out of the corners of her eyes and gave him another gentle little smile.
“No, my dear,” she said. ‘Only you.' That did quite creep me out, but with that sentence at the end I understood the story more.
6.The climax of the story is in the end of the story. I think that because she revealed herself at the end by saying she stuffs living animals .
7. That doesn't really change my appreciation to the story. I still really like the story .

No comments:

Post a Comment